Red Pumpkin Bharit also known as Lal Bhoplyacha Bharit is a classical Maharashtrian dish.
Lal bhoplyacha Bharit is super easy to make. It can be served as a main course, a side dish, a snack, or a dip.
As per me, this dish is a perfect summer dish. The color represents summer and the cooling effect of a red pumpkin teamed with curds cannot be missed.
Red Pumpkin Bharit ( Lal Bhoplyacha Bharit)
- Mixing bowl
- 1 cup Red Pumpkin cubed/grated
- 1/2-3/4 cup Thickk curds/ Hung Curds
- 2-3 tbsp Roasted groundnut powder
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 2 Green chillies
- 1 tsp Sendhav/ salt
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida/ Hing
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 2 tsp Oil
- Steam the pumpkin till it can be mashed easily either in a cooker or in a microwave in minimum water.
- Drain the water and let the pumpkin cool.
- Coarsely mash the pumpkin in case you have cubed it.
- To the mashed pumpkin, add in the powdered groundnut, salt and sugar. Mix it nicely.
- Then add the curds to the pumpkin mixture. Set it aside.
- For the seasoning/tadka , heat oil in a wok. Add in the green chillies and saute nicely. Then add in the cumin and asafoetida .Let it splutter slightly.
- Pour the tadka on pumkin mixture. Mix it well.
- Serve it with a warm Roti or Bhakri