Keto-friendly Coconut Macaroons. Yes, you read it right.
Before I go to the recipe let me tell you I absolutely love coconut macaroons.
As a kid, coconut macaroons were my favorite treat. I vividly remember celebrating one of my birthdays by distributing these coconut cookies a.k.a macaroons. They weren’t a regular affair at home. They were the celebration food item.
Wondering why I am calling them coconut cookies instead of Macaroons. Well back then my dad would get me these amazing goodies from a local baker who called them coconut cookies and it came topped with a cherry.
Anyways, I am going to be giving you both the version of coconut macaroons i.e. keto and the regular variation. Do try it out and let me know how they turn out.
- Mixing bowl
- baking tray/silicon baking mats
- 1.5 cup Shredded coconut I have used homemade sundried shredded coconut
- 2 Egg white
- As per taste Erythitol To make regular macaroons add 1/4 cup sugar
- 4-5 drops Vanilla/Almond essence
- Pinch of Salt
- Preheat your oven at 180 C for 10 mins
- In a mixing bowl, whip up the egg whites until stiff peak. Then add-in the sweetner and vanilla essence.( In case of using sugar, just whip the egg white with the sugar and essence till it is light and foamy)
- Finally, add in the shredded coconut and mix it well till it kind of comes together and you can make balls out of it.
- Scoop it out in a spoon and put it on the baking tray or make round ball with hand and place it on the tray and flatten it a little.
- Bake it in a pre-heated oven for 15 min.s
- After being baked. Leave them aside for cooling for a few minutes before consumption.
- If the mixture is runny add-in more coconut.
- You can use a combination of shredded coconut and almond flour
- To get an intense taste of coconut, toast them up a little before mixing into the egg.
- Each oven is different and heats differently. Also, coconut tends to burn faster so keep an eye on the macaroons closely.