Kaligana/ kalingada Polo is a simple soft dosa recipe made with watermelon rind.
I purchased a watermelon a few days back. When I cut it open I realized it had a good amount of white fleshy mass inside. So I quickly scooped it out and used it in my grandmother’s dosa recipe using the watermelon rind.
She always knew how to reduce wastage and make maximum use of whatever we had.
This recipe is absolutely simple, easy to make, and perfect as a breakfast or snack recipe.
Dosa with Watermelon Rind ( Kalingada Polo)
- Non-stick pan
- 3/4 cup Rice
- 1/2 cup Poha
- 1 cup Watermelon rind
- 1/2 cup Urad dal
- 1/2 tsp Methi seeds
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Soak rice, urad, methi for 4 hrs.
- Grind it to a somewhat thick paste with watermelon rind and poha.
- Let it ferment for 8-10 hrs.
- Add salt and mix it nicely.
- Heat pan till it's very hot. Add oil and pour the batter. Don't spread it like regular dosa.
- One the dosa leaves edges, flip it over and let it cook.
- Serve hot with a chutney.