Chura Matar Poha is a winter delicacy from UP and Bihar that is served as breakfast but the recipe varies from region to region. Unlike the traditional Kanda or bata poha of Maharashtra, it is made from green peas, no onion, and spices like pepper, garam masala.
Flattened rice/poha-1 1/4 cup *preferable use hand-pounded poha
Fresh Green peas-3/4 cup
Ginger-1 inch, finely chopped
Green chillies-3-4 * based on how spicy you want it.
Asafoetida/ Hing-a pinch
Black pepper-1/2 tsp
Garam masala-1/2 tsp
Cashew-10-12, broken piece/split
Salt-as per taste
- Take poha in a strainer/colander and rinse it under running water and leave it to soften.
- Tip- If you not sure how to rinse it or you think it will get very soggy- Sprinkle water, toss. Repeat the process until the poha is uniformly soaked.
- In a wok, heat oil. Add in cumin and let it splutter.
- Add in split green chilies followed by finely chopped ginger and saute it till the ginger is cooked.
- Add in green peas. Pour some water (approx.1/2-3/4 cup), just so much that the peas get cooked.
- Add the spice-pepper, asafoetida, Garam masala.
- Once the peas are cooked, toss in the poha followed by salt, sugar, and coriander.
- Finally, add in the roasted cashew and raisins.
- Increase the chilies to make it spicy.
- Increase the peas if you like.
- Instead of frying the cashews which the traditional recipe demands use roasted cashew.
- Serve it with Adrak wali chai or Haldi wala dudh.