Flaxseeds have been consumed for many many years and are one of the oldest crops cultivated. They are now becoming famous for their fiber content, as an omega 3 source or as a cholesterol-lowering seed.
Scientific Name of Flaxseeds:
Alshi ( Marathi), Linseed ( English), Alsi (Hindi)
They are tiny in shape slightly bigger than sesame. They are almost flat and shaped like a water drop. Their color is either earthy brown or yellowish.
There are 2 varieties 1. Brown and 2. Yellow/ golden.
These seeds have a distinct earthy taste which is slightly nutty.
Both the varieties of flaxseeds have a similar nutritional profile. Overall, the nutritional benefits are as follows:
- They are a good source of dietary fiber.
- It is the richest source of omega 3 from the plant kingdom.
- Good source pf antioxidants.
Flaxseeds are easily available in Indian in local shops, malls, and even food stores. Certain factors you need to consider which purchasing those are:
- They should be vacuum packed.
- Check for moisture.
- Check the pack for manufacturing date and once the pack is open consume and check for rancidity.
- Preferably buy unroasted flaxseeds.
- Flaxseeds are best stored in Airtight containers or vacuum packs and easily last for around 3-4 months.
- Once the pack is opened they need to be stored properly in air tight containers and in the refrigerator.
- Ground flaxseed powder lasts for around a week.
- Mukhwas ( mouth freshener)
- Mix it into your breakfast bowls, Buddha bowls, oatmeal, cereals..
- Smoothies or milkshakes.